Hi there! I am so honored to be a contributor on the Blissful Nest Holiday Team. My name is Jessica and I am a professional organizer, crafter, and home decor blogger at The Organized Mama. I am a farmhouse-loving, long-time seamstress who loves the color blue! I thought I would wrap up some of my favorite things into an easy DIY project that is perfect for the holidays!
So grab your favorite plaid fabric and let’s get sewing!
DIY Blue Plaid Table Runner With Pom Poms
- Blue Plaid Fabric
- Black Pom Pom Ribbon
- Black Thread
- Sewing Machine
- Ball Head Pins
To find how much fabric you will need, measure the width of your table. Then, add 8 additional inches so you can have a 4 inch overhang on each side. Adjust for more or less overhang depending on the size of the table! I made each table runner 12 inches wide, so I needed 48 inches of pom pom ribbon for my two runners. Adjust the amount of ribbon depending on the width of the runner, and how many runners you are making.
1. Lay your fabric out flat. If it has any wrinkles, make sure to iron them out.
2. Cut your fabric the long way to create a table runner. I always like to keep a yardstick next to me as I cut to ensure I get a straight cut. I made my table runners 12 inches wide.
3. Repeat the previous step so you will have four long pieces of fabric, or table runners.
4. To create fringe on the runner, you will start to pull one or two pieces of the vertical edges. Continue this process until you are happy with how “fringe-y” the runner is.
5. Cut your black pom pom ribbon to the size of the horizontal ends of the table runner.
6. Using the ball head pins, pin the ribbon to the ends of the plaid fabric.
7. Run the ribbon and plaid fabric through the sewing machine.
8. Continue to sew the ribbon to the horizontal ends to the table runner.
9. Lay out the runner on your table and style!
I decided that I wanted lay the table runners over the edge of the table and use them as place mats. I think it is a fun and different look for the table.
I am just loving how the blue plaid adds such a nice, winter-y touch to our table setting! The table runners are perfect for any holiday event because the plaid just screams “winter” and makes you want to get cozy and snuggle up by the fire. Plus, the blue is perfect for our Hanukkah celebrations that are coming up next month!
Thank you so much for letting me share this easy DIY blue plaid table runner with pom poms! I cannot wait for the holidays to get here so we can celebrate with family, friends, and lots of food!